A-Z Blog Challenge: K
Kumera:Kumera or Sweet Potato to those outside New Zealand is delicious in a variety of ways. Anything you can do with potatoes you can do with Kumeras. Mashed, roasted, cold as in a salad, or my personal favourite Sweet Spicy Kumera Wedges...
Rose's Sweet Spicy Kumera Wedges: ( portion: 5-6 wedges per person = 1 kumera each)
- 6 large Kumeras
- 1/3 cup cold water
- cooking spray
- 1 teaspoon butter/margarine
- pinch (enough to sprinkle) of Cinnamon, Chinese five spice, ground ginger
- Optional drizzle of runny honey
Method: Stage 1 - Easy-as Microwave Kumera Wedges ( works for any root vegetable )
- Scrub Kumera well, don't peel. Cut ends off then cut in half - Lengthways. Cut each half into wedges.
- Place wedges into a microwave container, add 1/3 cup of cold water, place in microwave and cook 6 minutes on high with lid on. Test with a fork - if fork goes through they are done if not cook for 60 seconds check with fork - repeat till just tender. Don't let them get Mushy or they will break up.
Method: Stage 2 - Creating Rose's Sweet Spicy Wedges:
- Preheat a fry pan to medium heat then add cooking spray
- Brown wedges on all sides - About 3 minutes
- In the last minute add a teaspoon of butter to the pan, toss the wedges quickly so each side gets a a few seconds extra browning in the butter - adds flavour and creates a surface for a spices to stick too.
- Sprinkle spices over the hot wedges tossing to get an even coating.
- Serve in a large bowl so people can help themselves or dish out portions.
- Optional: while warm, just before serving, drizzle with runny honey - kids love this option!